DIY paper flowers are a fantastic DIY decoration for parties and barbecues. They are also wonderful for brightening up different spaces throughout your home. Don’t want the responsibility of fresh flowers, but still want flowers? These are the perfect solution. You can line them across your fireplace mantle, dining room table, bookshelves, or gather them in a bunch and place them on your TV stand. Courtesy of Design Every Day, here are some step by step instructions to make this lovely floral DIY decoration.
To make the DIY paper flowers you will need:
- 6-8 sheets of colored tissue paper (per flower). Two sheets of one color for the inside and 4-6 sheets for the outside. More sheets for the outside makes for a fuller flower.
- A ruler
- A pipe cleaner (per flower)
How to make the DIY paper flowers:
- Take the tissue paper, and put it into an organized pile. Try to make sure all of the edges are aligned.
- Create a 5-6cm fold in all of the sheets simultaneously. Then perform the same fold, but this time go the other way. Do this until you have folded all the paper. It’s similar to creating a paper fan.
- Run a ruler over the folds of the tissue paper, to make sure they are well defined.
- Unfold the tissue, and separate the colors, setting the color you chose for the outside aside.
- Fold the (inside) tissue paper back into its previous folded position. Then fold it again, and cut it down to approximately half its size.
- Make long cuts in the trimmed tissue paper.
- The inside of your flower is now complete.
- Grab the outside tissue paper, that was set aside, and fold it in half.
- Cut the ends into the shape you desire for your petals. In order to form your flower, make sure that you cut far enough down. At this stage, your flowers and petals should be complete. If you notice petals that are too conjoined, fix those before moving on to the next step.
- Unfold all your tissue paper, and place the paper you’re using for the inside in the middle.
- Re-fold the tissue (both colors) back into its paper fan position.
- Fold both colors of tissue paper in half.
- Put the pipe cleaner around the fold that was made when you folded the paper in half, and securely wrap the two ends of the pipe cleaner around each other.
- Beginning on one side, carefully pull up and separate each layer, creating the middle of the flower.
- Carefully do this with the petals, as well.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Mission Accomplished.